DC Strokes Rowing Club seeks an experienced and motivated lead coach for the Club Program. The Club Program is designed for rowers with at least one year of experience who want to row primarily to improve technique, build or maintain fitness, and enjoy camaraderie with their teammates. Racing is optional and available to those who want to compete. The lead coach will work with an assistant coach. The coaching staff reports to the Programs Director.
• Organize and lead practices four days a week, (Mon-Thur, 6-8 pm), from late March/early April through late October, with additional practices as needed;
• Participate in monthly coaches’ meetings;
• Develop and implement a comprehensive training plan with the goals of improving athleticism, camaraderie, and technique;
• Implement the training philosophy and coaching goals of the Club Program
• Set expectations and goals for rowers
• Set and implement procedures and policies for rower participation, conduct, and attendance;
• Coach rowers to improve their rowing and coxswain skills to increase overall rowing ability and prepare for competition;
• Work with other program coaches to promote an integrated training program for team members, including the development of novice rowers as future DC Strokes members;
• Support the team’s diversity and mission to promote inclusive rowing, and make every effort to accommodate different lifestyles, abilities, and beliefs.
• Coordinate with other coaches to schedule resources for practices and regattas
• Support the education and supervision of rowers to ensure the proper use and care of equipment;
• Execute safety protocols and ensure the safety of rowers and equipment.
• 2+ years club masters coaching experience;
• Excellent teaching and communication skills;
• Ability to develop rowing technique and athletic conditioning in athletes of varying ages, experience, and skills;
• Experience developing and executing endurance and strength training programs;
• Experience with general training principles, nutrition, and exercise physiology;
• Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Certification (can obtain upon hire);
• US Rowing Association Level 2 Coaching Certification (or willingness to obtain. DC Strokes Rowing Club may pay for the certification.);
• Boat and water safety certification (can obtain upon hire).
• SafeSport compliance (can obtain upon hire).
Compensation is competitive, and dependent on experience.
The position will remain open until filled, with priority consideration given to candidates who apply by 28 February 2019.