DC Strokes Rowing Club seeks an experienced and motivated assistant coach for the Club Program. The Club Program is designed for rowers with at least one year of experience who want to row primarily to improve technique, build or maintain fitness, and enjoy camaraderie with their teammates. Racing is optional and available to those who want to compete. The assistant coach will support and coordinate with the lead coach. The coaching staff reports to the Programs Director.
• Assist the lead coach to organize and lead practices four days a week, (Mon-Thur, 6-8 pm), from late March/early April through late October, with additional practices as needed;
• Participate in monthly coaches’ meetings;
• Assist the lead coach to develop and implement a comprehensive training plan with the goals of improving athleticism, camaraderie, and technique;
• Assist the lead coach to implement the training philosophy and coaching goals of the Club Program
• Assist the lead coach to set expectations and goals for rowers
• Assist the lead coach to set and implement procedures and policies for rower participation, conduct, and attendance;
• Assist the lead coach to coach rowers to improve their rowing and coxswain skills to increase overall rowing ability and prepare for competition;
• Support the team’s diversity and mission to promote inclusive rowing, and make every effort to accommodate different lifestyles, abilities, and beliefs.
• Assist the lead coach to coordinate with other coaches to schedule resources for practices and regattas
• Support the education and supervision of rowers to ensure the proper use and care of equipment;
• Execute safety protocols and ensure the safety of rowers and equipment.
• 1-2 years club masters coaching experience;
• Excellent teaching and communication skills;
• Ability to develop rowing technique and athletic conditioning in athletes of varying ages, experience, and skills;
• Experience developing and executing endurance and strength training programs;
• Experience with general training principles, nutrition, and exercise physiology;
• Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Certification (can obtain upon hire);
• US Rowing Association Level 2 Coaching Certification is preferred, but not required. (DC Strokes Rowing Club may pay for the certification.);
• Boat and water safety certification (can obtain upon hire).
• SafeSport compliance (can obtain upon hire).
Compensation is competitive, and dependent on experience.
The position will remain open until filled, with priority consideration given to candidates who apply by 28 February 2019.